Cancun tips and must do's
Cancun is a city that never sleeps; this world famous party central offers a cheerful and fun atmosphere full of dancing, fun and craziness; but what else?
Other than being a gathering spot for spring breakers, Cancun offers beautiful pristine beaches, archeological sites, eco-parks, markets and shopping malls. There are so many activities to choose from, the difficult part would be finding time for everything!
There are all perfect activities for families, couples, and even if you are a party animal, there are plenty of things to do before the sunset!
As one of the main attractions of the city, beaches in Cancun are sunny and clean. Give yourself a little time to enjoy the sun while sipping on a cold drink. Beachfront Resorts also offer many water sports and other activities.
If your Hotel does not have a beachfront there are many public beaches, these are safe and also beautiful beaches. The principal public beach spots are located within the hotel zone. Main public beaches include Chac Mool Beach, Caracol Beach, Marlin Beach and Gaviota Beach.
- On the east side of the Hotel zone waves can be a little rough for small kids. Ask your hotel about the beach conditions.
- Wear sunscreen! Sun burns can really ruin your trip. Also if you are going to swim in the ocean try to get eco-friendly sunscreen.
- Watch out for jelly fish and sea lice. Avoid swimming with t-shits are they can get trapped between your skin and clothing; wash your bathing suit after swimming in the sea.
As you may know, the Yucatan Peninsula was home for many Mayan towns and major cities. Archeological sites such as Chichen Itzá, Tulum and Cobá are located not far from Cancun and you can visit these places on a day trip. Visiting the Mayan ruins provides a cultural experience you won’t forget!
- These sites are located around 100 miles from the city; this can be a long drive especially for small children.
- You will be walking a lot. Remember to pack a bottle of water and sunscreen.
- There are many craft sellers in the area, if you want to buy a souvenir you may want to ask your guide where is best to do it.
Isla Mujeres & Cozumel
These are both islands near Cancun. Isla Mujeres is just 20 minutes away from the Cancun hotel zone by ferry. If you want to go to Cozumel you will have to go to Playa del Carmen and then take a short ferry-ride there.
While Isla Mujeres is a 5 mile long island with a tranquil atmosphere, Cozumel is the largest one in the Mexican Caribbean. They both offer natural attractions with many species of small animals, birds and fishes.
- If you are planning on staying for the night make a reservation first.
- The cheapest way to get to Isla Mujeres is from Puerto Juarez.
- If you are going to rent a golf cart, car or motorcycle do it for the whole day, it’s cheaper and more convenient than renting by the hour.
Eco parks and natural attractions
Xel-Ha and Xcaret are parks where you can enjoy the natural wonders of the region. There are many water activities such as snorkeling, and scuba diving and many other activities for kids and nature lovers.
There are other places in Cancun where you can go scuba diving. The second world’s largest coral reef is just offshore and the crystal clear water provides a visibility of up to 100 feet.
- Most of the times, you can purchase entrance tickets to these parks at your hotel, however check other options online. Sometimes they are cheaper.
- Bring a small backpack with a swimming suit and a spare t-shirt or beach dress.
- Make a small itinerary of the place you want to visit within the parks. Time is crucial!
The downtown zone of Cancun is commonly overlooked by visitors. Downtown is where most local business are, including super markets, the ADO bus station and other everyday services. There is a whole city to explore outside the Hotel Zone; there are also beautiful parks and shopping malls, perfect for a day out.
There are also many restaurants with all types of food, many of them are high class restaurants that you won't find in the Hotel Zone. Exploring downtown and its sorroundings is a great way to get that local experience
- Prices are less expensive in the urban zone than in the hotel zone.
- You can go downtown by taking the public bus from the hotel zone, it is cheap and safe.
- In Market 28 you can find many crafts for half a price than other touristic spots.